Those crazy Gallagher brothers are at it again. Even though Oasis broke up in 2009 and they are in separate bands, Liam still wants the world to know that he did not have a hangover in 2009 which prevented him from performing. He had laryngitis and now he is suing his brother Noel not for money, but just so he can get his brother to apologize. Sound petty? You bet. But rock and roll brothers have been at it for years. Here are a few choice moments.
1) Ray and Dave Davies of The Kinks. Ray’s an asshole,” Dave told the Daily Mail. “You’ve heard of vampires, well, Ray sucks me dry of ideas, emotions and creativity. It’s toxic for me to be with him. He’s a control freak.” ‘The last time we were all together was at my 50th birthday party. Ray had the money and I didn’t, so he offered to throw it for me. ‘Just as I was about to cut the cake, Ray jumped on the table and made a speech about how wonderful he was. He then stamped on the cake.’ The brothers haven’t performed together since 1996.
2) Don and Phil Everly of The Everly Brothers. These Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame brothers make great music together but apparently can’t stand each other. They don’t really bad mouth each other but in 1973 at Knott’s Berry Farm of all places, Phil lost it during the performance of Cathy’s Clown and smashed his guitar to bits. Warren Zevon was playing in the Everly Brothers at the time and his ex-wife recounts it here. Needless to say the boys didn’t speak to each other for a very long time. They did reunite ten years later and toured with Simon and Garfunkel but they are officially retired as a duo.
3) Jim and William Reid of The Jesus and Mary Chain
In 1998, William had a falling out in the tour bus with guitarist Ben Lurie before they were to play a show at The House Of Blues in Hollywood. Jim appeared onstage apparently drunk and barely able to stand or sing. William walked offstage about 15 minutes into their set, and the show ended. The band finished up their U.S. and Japanese dates without William. Jim Reid said in 2006 of the tension between himself and William: “After each tour we wanted to kill each other, and after the final tour we tried” They did reform at The Coachella Music Festival in 2006.
4) Tom and John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival
This one was particularly nasty as Tom took the side of label head Saul Zaentz who had copyright control over the CCR songs. For fifteen years until the suit was settled over control of the song catalog, singer-songwriter John Fogerty refused to play Creedence songs. Tom died in 1990 without the brothers ever reconciling.
5) Kings of Leon. Three brothers. One cousin. In Dallas this year during a performance, lead singer Caleb excuses himself so he can vomit and promises to return. He never does. Show cancelled. Brother Jaret goes to Twitter “There are internal sicknesses & problems that have needed to be addressed. I know you guys aren’t stupid. I can’t lie. There are problems in our band bigger than not drinking enough Gatorade.” I have a feeling Caleb will not claim larygenytis and sue to get an apology for this one.